Thursday, February 17, 2005

On romance/love/sex in Kenya....(I'm listening to U2's, A Man and a Woman; GREATEST BAND EVER & I'm not a poser!)

So I'm bogged down by yet another slow internet connection so I decided to add an entry via a very useful program called Notepad. i.e. type, cut and paste later when the connection comes up so this one will be a little longer.

I was the lucky lass who had her first bout of stomach issues and I'm not sure why. I think foreigners, tourists and moi get sick abroad because our standards of hygiene tend to lapse once we feel comfortable with the environment. I washed my hands three times after I got home from town and the water just ran black....ha ha, not my skin color. My hands were absolutely filthy. Anyway, had lunch, bad tummy, found myself at the local pharmacy. While I was waiting, realized there was an internet cafe around the corner so I went in and waited for one of the 5/10 miserable units that were functioning but occupied at the time by a college student, two businessmen and two young Kenyan ladies on dating websites. The computers faced us, me being the audibly impatient one couldn't believe it. They (girls) had no less than three browser windows up, no fewer than five chat rooms going and a couple of video screens up. The girls didn't discriminate but the obese, old fat white guy on one was eliciting more giggles from the two who weren't aware of the growing crowd behind them. I realized they were serious about finding mates online as they had been there for quite a bit and at 2 shillings a minute to browse, one was up to 300/-.

One of the girls signed off and left shortly after and the other one went on, chatting with as many people as browser windows she could pop up after she hit send. My turn finally came and I was seated next to the desperate girl. While I signed on, I heard a gurgle and a baby cry. I looked around to see if there was an infant around me then glanced at her and realized she had the child and was breast-feeding while typing furiously with one hand, a look of furious determination as she multitasked. I didn't know quite what to think after that and just went ahead with my e-mail. Have I mentioned how much I MISS wireless and laptops? I'm going to give in, save and get my own no matter how expensive. I'm tired of choking on horrible B.O and my biggest pet peeve, loud gum chewers! GROSSest thing ever.

Anyway, back to love and sex in Kenya. I knew when I moved here that dating wouldn't be on my agenda and just two weeks (seems so much effing longer) have strengthened that resolve. I love my brothers, their friends and my male friends but what dogs. I'm sure there are some faithful men out there but I have yet to meet one. Even my cousin C, who I hadn't seen since '97 and claims he has a girlfriend had a super-roving eye for the ladies last weekend when we went out and even abandoned me! to go chat with a couple of lasses. The guys are great, funny, interesting, intelligent and good looking but fidelity is a loose term, especially in a country where polygamy and common law marriages are the norm. The women are either super possesive or secure in the wealth, status of their lives that they'll turn a blind eye to their husband's extracurricular activities. A good friend of mine, well off, great businessman is married with kids. His wife, ehh-looking, great hostess,bitch potential. Anyway, his honey on the side, a super-model, stunning, gracious and also a friend of mine....she's not allowed to date anyone. He has sole ownership and wants to keep it that way. This is just typical of half the shit that goes on with relationships around here. You'd be amazed how quickly people fall in love here. The first time people meet can be considered a date, which means I've dated....I'm a slut basically. Kidding. No one's caught my fancy just yet, no sparks flying, except from my water heater switch.

Oh, if you thought Valentine's day was on commercial steroids in the US, come to Kenya. It's crazy. One gas station chain had ads saying, "if you are a lady, wear red on valentine's day, come and fill your car up and get a rose and a bottle of wine. If you come in driving a red car in addition to the above, you get a dozen roses and a gas card for X amount of money." This also applied to female passengers. The media were worse: going to local primary/elementary schools and asking kids on the playground what they were going to do for Valentine's day. One pimply 10 yr old, "I'm going to spend it with my chick." Lol, I mean what else can I say.

Another observance, Valentine's night. I live apartment block and my balcony faces the main driveway for most of the other buildings. There is an absolutely gorgeous Somali girl who lives on the first floor of the apartments across from me. She has a four year old son is sooooooo cute, even my barely there maternal instincts surge when I see this child. Anyway, she was pacing back and forth, looking at the main gate for a while then she whips out her cell phone, calls someone and I hear her asking Mr.X when he'll be done at work so they could go out (time: 9 p.m, Valentine's night...hmmmm....). I've seen the guy before, european diplomat/businessman/scumbag. Anyway, she, placated with his reply goes into her apartment. An hour later, on the phone looking at the gate, calling him and alas, no answer. She looks around, sad, calls her friend and starts bitching him out and at some point questions whether it's because she has a child. The woman at the cafe, the beautiful woman across the street trying to date with kids. Not easy here. That's why the married women turn a blind eye to hubby's extracurricular activity. As long as they have the ring, house etc. he can fuck whatever he wants, discreetly though ofcourse. They have a status to maintain. GAG!

Diseases? Anyone? Sometimes I feel I'm on an entirely different planet and it is kinda scary.
More later, going to find connection somewhere. Wish me luck. Lol, if you're reading this I succeded so thanks. Lol

Found a connection!!!!! Yay!!!! But I have to go because it looks like it's going to rain and downtown is not the place to be.

In case y'all haven't noticed, I'm a Comma Queen. I know certain people have issues with that e.g., all my English profs but I'm no longer under their dictatorship.....plus I'm a foreigner.

No comments: