Friday, February 11, 2005

Groceries

There are two main chains, Uchumi & Nakumatt that sell an amazing variety of goods that would rival Buehler's. But the one thing that got me were the prices! I know now why I didn't eat veggies in the U.S. Can't afford them. I mean when red, yellow or orange bell peppers go for the highway robbery price of $3.99/lb, might as well grow your own puny ones in your backyard once a year and freeze them. Here, the prices are amazing. I kept loading my shopping cart with groceries like my life depended on it. Check out some of my steals. I've over-estimated some prices by a couple of cents doing the converstion from kilos to pounds.

1 lb red onions $0.40
1 lb mangoes $0.50
2 lbs peppers (red, yellow, green and orange) $ 0.60
2 bunches of fresh spinach $0.30
1 lb garlic $0.25
1 lb green beans $0.25

The fruits are always at a bargain because they come in year round. You should see the variety, lip-smacking delicious. I don't have to buy some veggies like potatoes; those come from our farm about 300 miles from here. Someone usually has to be up there about every two weeks so they load up on stuff and just bring it down to Nairobi and distribute among the relatives.

I went around looking for my fave stuff and I found most of it but the prices roughly translate into what I'd expect them to be though they're robbing me blind when it comes to my Hellman's mayo. There's a huge variety though and the locals have been coming up with their own stuff to match the huge brand names and some instances, their prodcuts taste better, like the local jams. Very fresh tasting. The coffee, tea....better than the shit they export.

It's been a very interesting culinary adventure. The one thing I've found is Kenyan fries are 100% better than anything I've had incl. McDonald's fries on hangover day. The secret is they are absolutely soaked with grease and served super hot. You have to try them with the local ketchup (as opposed to Heinz....not sure what the locals add to theirs...don't really wanna know but there's a chemistry going on that just works).

You must be wondering how effing enormous I must be at this point. Quite the opposite, I've lost more weight. You walk everywhere and are constantly in motion. And also the death rides that are matatus, make you keep your muscles clenched just about everywhere so when you get out of them, you finally relax and realize how sore you will be later on. Also, been eating more veggies because I can afford them!!!! And Olive Oil is alive and present here so everything, gets sauteed, fried, basted, drizzled, marinated in that delicious oil.

I can't wait for Mombasa though, I will surely get fat there....all that pure white sand, madafu (coconut juice) cocktails, ocean lapping at my feet.....the only exercise I'll be getting there is lifting a finger to gesture where the cabana boy should put more sunblock. (clean thoughts people, this is a family blog!)

Laters.

1 comment:

chemutai said...

Yeah, go Chem the vegetarian!