Friday, February 04, 2005

Culture Shock 101

It's another day in hot and sweaty Nairobi. I've been punishing myself by looking at vacation packages to different beach destinations. The water is just begging for me to come. I've ventured out on my own today as was super stifled yesterday with two brotherly chaperones. So today just been walking around and checking out the town. Still dirty, v.hot. dusty and deodorant is still a commodity that's not widely advertised. Oh, the internet connection is much better more like 1998 AOL but at a better speed.

So aside from the super fast wireless service here are other things I've observed so far. (oh yeah, don't be fooled by cyber cafes that advertise with the name wireless...effers) Ladies, you have to learn to be stingy with the T.P. as loos do not flush well at all! Also, forget about bringing your man here. Kenyan women are unbelievably effing gorgeous even I find myself staring.

Lol, I'm at a cyber cafe and listening to a Kenyan man singing Shania Twain "u'r still the one" karaoke style. The music is actually pretty good. The local stylings are actually worth listening to. Berty will love this: I just heard Usher's "Yeah" in Swahili! Lol, They take all these popular hits and re-record them in the langauage and it actually sounds really good.

The food....delicious. And there's something for everyone. Japanese (yes with fab sushi I've been told), Thai, Greek, Indian obviously, French and so much more. Oh and the drinks are to die for. Like Passion fruit, mango, papaya and it's all organic and fresh. There are tons of burger places around here styled after McDonalds. The largest chain I've seen is Steers, a south african brand. I actually (yuck) had a cheeseburger and fries yesterday. Fries rocked, I think the beef patty was corned beef. (double yuck). Keep in mind, nobody serves drinks with ice. You have to ask for it. Beers may come slightly chilled but it's really good beer. Bottled water is out, boiling your own water is in. Don't even think about tap water.

Ok, hungry now but I'll keep adding to this and fill free to make comments. What to have for lunch now....hmmmm.

No comments: