Monday, March 14, 2005

Before ID....after to follow, lol

Hola party people. Yet another hot Monday morning here in NBI but it actually rained last night so the killer rays are coming through some cloud cover. Today I tackle the national ID having finally pinned father figure down at his office as I needed his ID card to obtain my own. Have just taken passport pictures....again. Let me tell you something, my picture is littered all over this country as pretty much everything you do and need entails your passport photo to accompany it. So I'm waiting for the one-hour photo place to develop it. Urghh, I need business suits and stuff. I hate dressing up; I think one of the reasons I'm set on being my own boss is so that I can wear whatever I want, whenever I want....ok, I will dress up when the situation calls for it. Maybe when I can afford the super awesome things I shouldn't even be looking at I'll dress up more and more.

Sad sight of the weekend: There is extensive construction going on in and around my apartment. The owners are expanding continuously, the suburb becoming a city overnight. Well the crews for some reason come in through the main entrance making so much noise at 7 a.m. and stream out at about 6. This chaps are paid by the hour and can work up to seven days a week. Well to feed them, a couple of women actually set up camp outside the complex and prepare daily fare for the workers and I gathered that they are paid at the end of the week. I had gone to do some grocery shopping at a nearby center and on my way back I passed the same crew that I'd seen before arguing with these poor ladies about the price of a week's lunch. It was getting dark and the men were still arguing with one lady who was not having any of their shit. Suddenly, one stupid boy (had to be early 20s) grabbed the bag in which she'd been placing their money and jogged a short distance from her. I think initially he was trying to make change from what he'd given her but she pursued him yelling, "If you're not coming back on Monday then take it all" He kept moving away and then appeared to change his mind and grabbed all the cash, dropped her bag and started to run away. As he ran past me, I thought of tripping him and dropping all my groceries but there were at least 30 workers behind him egging him on and I knew I'd be in a world of trouble. She pursued him, yelling and shaking her fist and some of the other men started to follow, laughing. I just walked faster into my compound shaking my head and feeling sad, angry and guilty at the same time.

sigh, the world can be ugly at times.

More later, I'm off to do errands. I'm carrying my passports which I LOATHE to have in this public but is necessary.

No comments: