Friday, June 24, 2005

Boys or men, pizza etc.

Had pizza for lunch today...I miss Papa John's. It was good but the cheese was lacking. I've been extremely broke this week and super lazy about packing lunches for work so my malnourished wallet forced me to seek out alternative lunch venues. I've grown tired of fries and my face alerted me to that fact by producing a zit with Vesuvian potential. I actually found really nice restaurants with incredibly affordable fare. There's a restaurant called Antonio's near the 680 Hotel, that carries all manner of Mexican themes but don't be surprised by the huge Friends poster in the dining hall. The food is really good and surprisingly cheap. One funny aspect, fajitas, burritos and tacos come in a chapati and not on a tortilla as you'd expect and that's as Mexican as it gets. You can get fish and chips as well, spicy Indian dishes and even some local fare.

But I digress

Ah yes, the topic; a friend who shall rename nameless for a while...Jackie, thinks I'm anti-man. She claims that my entries are a little harsh toward that weaker sex so I feel it necessary to justify myself.

I absolutely adore men, some more than others but I they are the most wonderful, delicious creatures and I would like to take one home one day and cuddle it. Seriously, I love boys/men but I've refused to date while I'm here. Why? Because most (ok, all) the guys I've met (not applying this to every single man in Kenya) are dogs. End of story. I know there are some good ones out there but what's the point of weeding out the bad apples to get to the one good one so I'm just not going to date. Instead, I've become an observer of bad yet quite common, and in some cases acceptable behavior of infidelity among others. I went to a sporting event not too long ago and I kid you not, most of the men I knew there had come with girlfriends and left the wives at home.

You have to remember that most tribes in Kenya have a polygamous (sp?) history so it is quite common to meet first and second wives all over the place. What is unusual for me is my generation engaging in this more and more openly for that matter. What's even worse is that some of the wives are aware of the "sidekick" but they have the house, the ring and whatever else so they are content to let these little indiscretions carry on. And I don't doubt for a minute that she probably has a little action on the side so it's just a vicious infinity link of infidelity with consequences attached.

So you see Jackie, I don't dislike men, the women too are to blame, but I don't have to date them. I mean, this is the era of AIDS etc and piece of rubber is only so effective.

Ok, I'm being preachy, enough. Going out tonight with that a couple of that wonderful species called men. They are absolutely perfect when they are your friends. I'm going to a 6AM party....hmmm. Well, I'll just dance the night away and before I know it, morning will have broken.

Did I mention I miss pizza?

1 comment:

Crew Koos said...

You missed it ? too bad !!
Sorry for you !