Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tis the season to be jolly!



Christmas time in Nairobi. I gotta tell you, I miss snow with a passion. I prefer traveling upcountry for the holiday because it feels amazing to be out of Nairobi and in a clean air environment where you can relax and enjoy the holiday. And we can get away with chopping down a pine tree to decorate and put in the living room and toss loads of presents underneath and add cotton balls strategically to give the illusion of snow. I will spend roughly 36 hours of manual labor in the kitchen in creating a magnificent turkey feast that will be devoured in roughly 15 minutes. Try replicating that in Mombasa in a minimum of 90 degree heat... Nairobi is bad enough but Mombasa - too hot too feel Christmas.



Nairobi unfortunately feels the same but go to any mall and I feel like I'm bargain hunting in any mall in Ohio. The crowds are the same, the buzz is the same and the props are the same. It is funny to hear a "shrubbing" Santa. "Melly Chlistmas!" yells the skinny Santa with a pot belly near the entrance of a Nakumatt. The bargains....I'm too broke right now to even go window shopping but soon, I'll be roaming Westgate Mall to get everybody's presents. I wonder, what do you get a one year old who is in his terrible two's with the emotional angst of a teenager?

No comments: