Friday, September 12, 2008

KPLC: Kenya Pricks & Lunatic Cons


I mean WTF! I got my electricity bill yesterday and my legs gave out under me. My bill has gone up by 150%. I contemplated prostitution that evening because there's no way I can afford this shit. I have a friend who's gone to contest his 1,000% bill increase at the power company and the line for complaints stretches outside while the cashiers sit idle. Kenyans by nature are incredibly patient and will put up with a lot until pushed. e.g., the election riots. But I'm ready for someone to start a fracas at their offices and I'll be right there cheering you on. You can't really yell at this people when you go complain because government workers being as petty and vicious as they are, will probably disconnect you. So I'm ready to don a bandana, and go kick up a fuss if everyone else does.


All of Kenya is going through economic hardships like nothing they've experienced before and it's getting worse. Before, I could go to the grocery store with $15 (Kshs. 1,000) and come out with loads of stuff. Now, I come out of the store with a handbag sized bag. Vegetables are bloody expensive, meat has gone up and the stock market is plunging daily. Urghh, I forgot, I bought shares a month ago!


The picture above is from my holiday at Voyager - looking at it calms me down.

No comments: