Monday, August 15, 2005

Donkeys and food

In Blog world I’m sadly the lamest writer ever. Three weeks! Well, it’s a testament as to how incredibly busy I’ve been. Alas, no vacation yet. I actually found myself photocopying an extraordinary amount of work because the heated paper smelled like a sandy beach. Weirdo. I had planned on taking a holiday last week but due to circumstances beyond my control (a.k.a. LIFE) I had to postpone and I was fairly gutted. I desperately need to get out of the city for even just one night. The rains are finally here and what was once dusty (everything) is now muddy and since the roads are a nightmare to begin with in the dry season, imagine what they are when the crater-sized potholes are now mini swimming pools. On the other hand, I’m grateful that I’m not choking on the smog that has enveloped Malaysia. Wow, we really treat our planet like crap. Did you know that they are predicting the snows on Mt. Kilimanjaro will actually have melted away in ten years, that 2/3 of the Great Wall is damaged and/or disappearing and that the Maldives will actually drown if the ocean levels rise by just 1 meter!

My distraction from reality has finally arrived in the form of the English Premier League. I am a die hard Man U lass but will root for even Arsenal when they play next Sunday. My venue of choice to watch the games has become the sports bar that doubles as a strip club on Saturday nights – quite sad but the beer is cheap and they have loads of sports on multi tellys and it’s in a very safe area, quite touristy actually. Anyway, you’ll find loads of serious fans, so not a place to bring a date which is what I observed when I saw a few gals in there looking quite lost and mildly pissed (the drunk and angry variety).

I had no idea Prince William was in Kenya this past weekend. Oh darn, oh well, I'd have probably been the one to lose my big toe as I tried to sneak into his tent.

Oh, my place of the week. Seriously overpriced but has a nice menu. A very Italian coffeehouse called Lavazza on Wabera Street, right opposite Tratorria’s (overpriced but so worth it Italian restaurant – order anything fish and you won’t be disappointed). Anyway, Lavazza’s has a really cool atmosphere, cappuccinos are wonderfully frothy, great coffee choices and they have Italian sodas! But the prices are a bit ridiculous but it’s worth it if you want to avoid the pretentious crowds at Java’s and Dorman’s.

This weekend the newspaper ran the funniest yet cutest article about folks who lose a close family friend – the family donkey and the tragedy that is that loss. It was hilarious and cute at the same time. I lost the link but it detailed how a certain sub tribe is so dedicated to these hardworking creatures that some even host funerals for their dearly departed Asses. The article mentioned one man who upon saying many a teary-eyed word for his loss then threw money into the grave along with samples of items that his dedicated loyal servant had hauled over the years - potatoes, carrots, charcoal etc. Cute story, must find it.

Back to the grind that is work. Laters.

No comments: